Domain Hoarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Hoarding

Are you a domain hoarder? I am asking this because this is something I used to do in the past. I used to just buy domains and let them sit on my dashboard without doing anything with them. I am glad I got out of that, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I have never hoarded anything in my life. I guess I am lucky LOL. And I definitely do not have more than one domain at the moment. Again, I am just starting out, but what did you do to kick the habit?

Comment

I still do! I have a few domains that I am finding extremely difficult to let go of. I know deep inside that I will probably never use them, but I can't seem to get rid of them.

Comment

I haven't hoarded before but then is there anything illegal in this? Did you ever make a profit in this way? I don't see anything wrong in buying a domain but with a hope of using it in the future.

Comment

If it were illegal, I think only a select few hackers would do it.

I never have, but if I did I would do it for the purpose of flipping them when I felt the time was right.
          Last edited by Toby Wenger; 01-28-2020, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Ian James No, it's not illegal. The only problem is that those domains expire since registration only lasts between 1-10 years, so you're constantly renewing them and it can be a huge money suck over time.

Arthur Jun Ex-hoarder here. I made some decent money off of digital currency domain names during the boom. Unfortunately, I also registered a few names that were worthless. I sold what I could and let the rest go.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Bennett View Post
              Ian James No, it's not illegal. The only problem is that those domains expire since registration only lasts between 1-10 years, so you're constantly renewing them and it can be a huge money suck over time.
              You can always keep track of how much you spend there along with what you bought the name for and make that total your asking price when you sell. If you're lucky you could make a profit.

Comment

I am so glad there are other people who had/have the same habit LOL. I am not the only one

Originally posted by Anthony Page View Post
                I have never hoarded anything in my life. I guess I am lucky LOL. And I definitely do not have more than one domain at the moment. Again, I am just starting out, but what did you do to kick the habit?
                I just decided to let go of them if I see that I did not use them for one year.

Comment

Working...
                X