A brief history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A brief history

William J. Tobin acquired the patent for affiliate marketing in 1989. However, it wasn't until 1996 that Amazon became the first company to use affiliate marketing as a program that was available to the general public. What could have caused this the delay in its uptake?

Ingenuity. In my opinion, ingenuity requires out-of-the-box thinking, and that is what Jeff Bezos does in regards to growing a company. As a result, people like him will try things others won't and, apperently, it took that long for someone to put one and one together when no one else thought it would add up.

Comment

I think it boils down to logistics. The internet wasn't nearly as fast as it is today and it was somewhat rare to see a home with computers and a good internet connection. Actually, in several geographic areas the internet just wasn't available at all. Once the logistics improved, affiliate marketing became more popular.

Comment

I agree with you both. Ingenuity requires one to be a risk-taker, and most of the time, people are always waiting for that one person who will make the first move. The internet has also evolved over the years, giving a chance for affiliate marketing to thrive!

Comment

Working...
        X